Senior Gleaners of San Diego County
Some generous donors of produce also give us "large" checks to support our work.
Spread the word
Download our brochures and distribute in your neighborhood.
- Click here for a brochure to leave with property owners who have surplus produce. (prints 2 per page, 2-sided)
- Click here for a small poster to hang in stores and public bulletin boards.
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ OR click the Facebook button below.
Can you help with other special needs?
- Donated small trucks or vans.
- Repair and maintenance of trucks and vans.
- Picking equipment
Become a volunteer gleaner
Gleaners must be at least age 55. There is no minimum time requirement, but most members volunteer two or three hours on 2-3 days per month.
Fruit gleaners must be fit enough to spend 2-3 hours during a session picking fruit and sometimes walking on sloped and uneven surfaces. Produce gleaning happens only one morning each week.
Grocery gleaners ride in a van for 2-3 hours making several stops to load grocery items into a van. The gleaner van travels Tuesday through Friday mornings.
Members of both groups should be able to lift 10-20 pounds in buckets or boxes and help others lift heavier boxes into and out of vans. But we can accommodate volunteers who can't lift these amounts--we do "share the load." Gleaners carpool to work sites or meet where vans are parked.
We need volunteers to:
- Glean from gardens, farms and stores.
- Drive vans or trucks.
- Help with administrative tasks such as phoning, record keeping, coordinating work teams, serving on the governing board.
Click here for an application. Fill it out, (please print), scan it and send it to our e-mail address OR mail a paper copy to:
2941 4th Ave
San Diego CA 92103
Try us out
Join our fruit pickers or grocery crews for a session to see if it's something you'd enjoy. Give us a call or send an e-mail. Bring this completed form to the activity.
Sign up for occasional news items. Send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Put "Add to news list" in the subject line. Your contact information will not be sold or shared.
How to help
Donate spare produce or food items
Gleaners pick fruit weekly county-wide and operate vans collecting unsold food items.
Benefits to you:
- Less work to pick fruit and dispose of unwanted fruit or food products that otherwise might end up in landfills or go to waste.
- Improved health of fruit trees.
- A receipt showing the amount donated for tax donation purposes.
- Assurance of security for your property and donation. All gleaners are also members of the Retired & Senior Volunteers PProgram, which provides supplemental insurance to cover any incidents while volunteers are gleaning. In addition, the federal Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act, was created to encourage the donation of food and grocery products to qualified nonprofit organizations and provides liability protection to food donors. Under this Act, as long as the donor has not acted with negligence or intentional misconduct, the donor is not liable for damage incurred as the result of illness.
To schedule a donation of produce or food: CALL: 619-633-9180
Donors may claim the value of donated produce and food products as tax-deductible items.
Donate funds or services
Donated funds support all facets of the work including van operation and maintenance, warehouse rental and insurance. We have very low administrative costs. All donations directly support the work of the organization.
Mail your tax-deductible check to support our work to:
Senior Gleaners Treasurer at the address below.