Senior Gleaners of San Diego County
Some generous donors of produce also give us "large" checks to support our work.
Spread the word
Download our brochure and distribute in your neighborhood.
Download a full-color brochure to leave with property owners who have surplus produce. (prints 3 per page, 2-sided)
Like us on Facebook or start a Facebook fundraiser for us.
Can you help with other special needs?
- Donated small trucks or vans.
- Repair and maintenance of trucks and vans.
- Picking equipment
Become a volunteer gleaner
Gleaners must be at least age 55. There is no minimum time requirement, but most members volunteer three to four hours on 2-3 days per month.
Fruit gleaners must be fit enough to spend 2-3 hours during a session picking fruit and sometimes walking on sloped and uneven surfaces. Fruit gleaning happens only one morning each week.
Grocery gleaners ride in a van for 2-3 hours making several stops to load grocery items into a van. The gleaner van travels Tuesday through Friday mornings.
Members of both groups should be able to lift 10-20 pounds in buckets or boxes and help others lift heavier boxes into and out of vans. But we can accommodate volunteers who can't lift these amounts--we do "share the load." Gleaners carpool to work sites or meet where vans are parked.
We need volunteers to:
- Glean from gardens, farms and stores.
- Drive vans or trucks.
- Help with administrative tasks such as phoning, record keeping, coordinating work teams, serving on the governing board.
Click here for an application. You will complete a Senior Gleaners application, a Retired & Senior Volunteer Program application and a Gleaners Driver Agreement--all contained in a single document. Mail signed copies to:
Senior Gleaners of San Diego County
PO Box 600521
San Diego CA 92160
Try us out
Join our fruit pickers or grocery crews for a session to see if it's something you'd enjoy. Give us a call or send an e-mail. Bring this completed form to the activity.
Sign up for occasional news items. Send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Put "Add to news list" in the subject line. Your contact information will not be sold or shared.
How to help
Donate spare produce or food items
Gleaners pick fruit weekly county-wide and operate vans collecting unsold food items.
Benefits to you:
- Less work to pick fruit and dispose of unwanted fruit or food products that otherwise might end up in landfills or go to waste.
- Improved health of fruit trees.
- A receipt showing the amount donated for tax donation purposes.
- Assurance of security for your property and donation. The federal Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act was created to encourage the donation of food and grocery products to qualified nonprofit organizations and provides liability protection to food donors. Under this Act, as long as the donor has not acted with negligence or intentional misconduct, the donor is not liable for damage incurred as the result of illness. Senior Gleaners carries organizational liability insurance. Volunteers receive supplemental insurance coverage while volunteering through the Retired & Senior Volunteer program.
To schedule a donation of produce or food: CALL: 619-633-9180
Donors may claim the value of donated produce and food products as tax-deductible items.
Donate funds or services
Donated funds support all facets of the work including van operation and maintenance, fuel purchase and insurance. We have very low administrative costs. All donations directly support the work of the organization.
Mail your tax-deductible check to support our work to:
Senior Gleaners Secretary at the address at the bottom of this page.
OR click on this button to donate using a credit card, debit card or a PayPal Account.